PHAsis PAUT Spotweld Inspection System
Spot welding is one of the methods of resistance welding and is a widespread technique for firmly joining two or three metal parts, usually sheets or plates made of steel or aluminum. It is regarded as the most important joining process of car bodies, but is also used in other areas of sheet metal processing, e.g. washing machines. The metal parts are joined by several small, round spot welds.
We have developed the PHAsis® manual ultrasonic testing device for the precise testing of these resistance-welded spots of steel and aluminum. PHAsis® is the first Phased Array spot weld inspection device (PAUT) with a physical resolution of the welding lens diameter more accurate than 0.35 mm that has not been achieved before. It is ideally suited for testing 2- and 3-layer joints with a single sheet thickness of 0.7 – 5 mm. PHAsis® was specially developed for time-saving use in production.
Why a Phased Array spot weld inspection device?
The use of Phased Array technology has several advantages over conventional ultrasonic technology:
- PHAsis®makes the welding “visible” and facilitates the evaluation of the spot weld quality.
It generates an imaging display of the spot weld quality as a D-Scan from 729 recorded A-Scans.
- The simultaneous recording of more than 700 measuring points results in a high resolution of more than 0.35 mm for the welding lens diameter. In combination with mathematical functions, this results in exact diameter determination based on reflected ultrasound.
- An automatic, imaging evaluation proposal as well as the determination of the welding lens diameter on the basis of stored parameters enables a reliable spot weld inspection without ultrasonic expert knowledge.
- The simultaneous scanning of a larger inspection area shortens inspection times.
- In contrast to testing with conventional ultrasonic probes, changing the probe for the testing of different specimens is not necessary.
Characteristics of the PHAsis® spot weld inspection device:
- Imaging display (D-Scan) of more than 700 measuring points per spot weld in a measuring grid,
- Phased Array ultrasonic probe with 20 MHz and 121 elements in an 11x11 matrix.
- Large inspection field of 9 x 9 mm2.
- Short test times of a few seconds per weld spot.
- Automated creation of an evaluation proposal for the spot weld quality.
- Reliable evaluation due to the imaging display of the test results.
- Extremely user-friendly testing and evaluation software with little training effort.
- Low weight of the battery-operated testing device of 3.5 kg.
If you have any questions about our phased array spot weld inspection system PHAsis®one or need any advice, please contact us.
All data is organized by means of the PHAsis®manager administration software and synchronized with the PHAsis®one ultrasonic inspection device.
The data and user administration as well as the creation of various inspection plans are clearly designed for easy and fast editing.
The PHAsis®device inspection and evaluation software on the device is specifically designed by VOGT Ultrasonics for time-saving use during production. The intuitive operation guarantees a minimum need of training. The software of the device supports the customer with a live D-Scan and amplitude-based alignment points for the optimum focussing of the probe on the spot weld to be inspected.
The imaging display of the phased array technology ensures the safe evaluation of the inspection results. The created display of the spot weld with coloured depth imaging of the welded areas shows defects in the welding, e.g. pores or too small welding spots. By freezing the D-scan the inspection system automatically provides an evaluation proposal.
If needed PHAsis® communicates with the customer's data base by individually adapted interfaces.